Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Journaling 1000 Gifts

Dear Sisters in Christ, (9/28/2011)
It has been ten days since our Ladies Night and the introduction of our theme for the year, "One Thousand Gifts". I hope you have taken time to write down some of your blessings as we begin this journey of being thankful in all things, at all times. If you were no able to attend our program and get a journal, you can use a notebook, notepad, paper, or special place on your computer to list the things you love, what makes you happy, what sees you through a tough day, or anything you are grateful for.

Since I started my journal, I find I am more aware of the gifts around me each day. I feel I am seeing things more clearly with less focus on the negative. It is the desire of the Women's Ministry Team that some of you will be willing to share how this listing of God's gifts is affecting your lives through emails, or a blog, or in the Women's Newsletter. We are grateful for each one who is taking this journey with us.

One on the biggest struggles in my life currently is having a mother with Alzheimers. A woman who once led state and national committees and traveled the world, is no longer able to remember any of those things, has not been able to walk for a few weeks now, and is afraid of everyday life with the confusion she is experiencing. Without the Lord by my side, I would not be able to face the effects of this devastating disease. Since reading "One Thousand Gifts", I have found great comfort in the words of another woman with personal struggles and looking for joy. I am able to find things to be thankful for even on Mom's worst days.

Singing Amazing Grace and believing the words
Watching the faces of the elderly singing hymns together
Mom can still sing hymns
Mom's gratefulness for the little things I do
Mom still says, "This my daughter, Earline" to residents of the nursing home
Sharing her favorite food, ice cream

It is seeing through eyes opened by God's Grace that makes all the difference. It is trusting that God is good and ever present. Earline Schuppe

No comments:

Post a Comment